​​​​Frequently Asked Questions

I Want Information on a Detainee, How Can I Find It?
For information on a Detainee, select the Detainee Search Feature link.  The Detainee Search feature provides all of the information that can be legally released to the public.

Detainee Search Feature

A Detainee was at Court Today, but the Detainee Search Feature is not Updated.  What is the Next Step?
Court information is entered into the system as soon as the papers are received from the Office of Circuit Court Clerk.  Please check back later in the day to verify if the information has been updated.  If the information is not updated after 6:00 p.m., please contact the Kane County Adult Justice Center at 630-208-2083.

How do I Find Out Court Information About a Detainee?
Service representatives at the Kane County Adult Justice Center cannot release information about court proceedings such as case status, what happened at the last court date, or any other information.  The only information that can be released is the court date.  To find the Detainee's next court date, select the Detainee Search Feature by selecting the link below.

Detainee Search Feature

What is the Procedure for Picking Up a Detainee's Personal Property?
A Detainee's personal property may be picked up between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.  Prior to arriving at the facility, please telephone a service representative at the Kane County Adult Justice Center Intake and Release Division at 630-208-2083.

  • A Detainee's written release is required for a service representative from the Kane County Sheriff's Office to issue personal property.
  • After the Detainee signs a written release, all personal property that the Detainee had in their possession upon arrival at the Kane County Adult Justice Center, with the exception of their money and clothing, shall be released to the grantee.
  • This process can be time consuming, and your patience is appreciated.
  • A photo ID is required to be presented prior the Detainee's property being released.

How do I Bond Out a Detainee?
Once a Detainee has been processed and/or booked into the Kane County Adult Justice Center, he and/or she can be "bonded out" and/or released from custody if a bond amount has been set by the Kane County 16th Judicial Circuit.  Below are some guidelines to assist you in the bond process prior to arriving at the Kane County Sheriff's Office.

  • ​​Verify the bond amount by visiting the Detainee Search feature to ensure that the person you want to bond out is still in custody.
                                                                                                             Detainee Search Feature
  • There are two (2) methods to "bond out" an individual that is in custody.
    • Cash – Cash bonds are accepted at the Kane County Sheriff's Office 365 days-a-year
      ​between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:30 p.m.  All individuals posting bond are required to present a form of positive identification.
  • Only cash is accepted.  Service representatives of the Kane County Sheriff's Office cannot accept money orders, checks, or other forms of currency.
  • Bond must be made in the exact amount of change.  Service representatives of the Kane County Sheriff's Office cannot accept any denomination over the specified bond amount.
    • Credit or Debit Card – The Kane County Sheriff's Office has contracted with an outside agency, CourtMoney, to handle all credit and/or debit cards transactions.  Bond can be paid twenty-four (24) hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year using this method.  If the bond is posted between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., the Detainee release process does not begin until after 7:00 a.m.  The vendor charges a set service fee to utilize a credit and/or debit cards.  For additional information regarding the use of credit and/or debit card, please visit the Courtmoney Website, or contact their customer service agency at 1-800-352-9870.
    • Other Bond Details
      • In addition to the bond amount there is a One Hundred Dollar ($100.00) processing fee.  The processing fee is required for all Detainees that are being "bonded out," and said fee must be paid at the time that the bond is posted.
      • Only the exact bond amount shall be accepted.  Service representatives at the Kane County Sheriff's Office are not authorized to accept anything over and/or under the specified bond amount.  The processing fee must be included in the total sum and/or exact amount.
      • The bond and/or said fee is non-refundable.
      • Individuals with an active order of protection and/or an individual listed as a victim in the case in which the Detainee is currently being held may not post bond for the Detainee and/or be on the property when the Detainee is released from custody.

How Long does the Bond Out Process T​​ake and What Should I Expect?
There are a myriad of steps that must be taken to ensure accuracy during the bond process.  The process can take several hours to complete and we thank you for your patience during this time period.  After the bond is paid, the Kane County Sheriff's Office confirms if the Detainee has any outstanding warrants prior to being released.  If a Detainee has an outstanding warrant than the Detainee is not released from custody.  The Detainee is then sent to the agency that is holding the warrant.  Detainees with holds from other agencies (such as the Illinois Department of Corrections (I.D.O.C.) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) can be bonded out; however, they will not be released from custody.  The Detainee will be remain in custody at the Kane County Adult Justice Center until the agency who requested the hold –​ transfers said Detainee to a different facility.

What Happens to My Money After I Post Bond?
After the bond fee is collected by the Kane County Sheriff's Office, the money is transferred to the Kane County Circuit Court Clerk's Office.  For additional details regarding the disposition of a refund, please contact a service representative at the Kane County Circuit Court Clerk's Office or telephone their office at 630-232-3413.

What Happens to a Detainee's Property When They are Transferred to the Illinois Department of Corrections (I.D.O.C.)?
When a Detainee is sentenced to the I.D.O.C. any personal property that they are not allowed to take with them and/or that they have selected not to bring with them during the transfer process is forwarded to a person of the Detainee's choosing.  The cost of shipping is covered by the money on the Detainee's Fund Account.

I Want to Donate Books and/or have Literature to the Detainee Library.
The Kane County Adult Justice Center accepts donations for its Detainee Library.  Donations are greatly appreciated.  Service representatives at the Kane County Adult Justice Center can only accept soft covered books.  No hard covered books are allowed.  The Kane County Adult Correctional Center can only accept used books if they are deemed to be in "good" condition.  Books with writing and/or underlining and highlighting in them shall not be accepted.  Donations are inspected prior to being placed in the jail.  All genres of literature are accepted and appreciated.  Due to the wide variety of reading requests, books of all reading levels and interest types are needed.  An example of acceptable literature includes, but is not limited to, classics, history, biographies, auto-biographies, poetry, self-help, and religious.

Again, all types of books are needed for the library.  Any books containing nudity and/or pornography will not be accepted.  Donations will not be accepted for a specific Detainee.  Donated materials are distributed at random.

For additional information on making a donation please contact the Detainee Programs Coordinator, Bill Woods, at 630-762-2726 or via EMail at WoodsBill@co.kane.il.us.